Finally the wait is over to know your Employee Provident Fund (EPF) account balance. After 2 years of initial announcement to make the account information online, EPFO India has finally delivered something. As per the official note released by the PF department on July 1st of 2011, a valid active account holder will know the balance up to the date. Their claim is that all the accounts are updated for certain circles across country, which also includes the latest approved transactions of settlement/advances/transfer-in/transfer-out, if any.
This data was made initially available for Delhi (North), Delhi (South), Laxmi Nagar (Delhi), Gurgaon, Faridabad, Karnal and Bangalore. Right now PF account balance data is made available for 119 offices across India. Remaining offices records will be made available online soon as per the info on their site.
In order to know your PF account details, follow these simple steps:
- Visit the site http://www.epfindia.com/MembBal.html
- Select the EPFO office where your account is maintained
- Furnish your PF Account number in the online form.
- Leave the extension field blank, in case your account does not have one.
- You will be asked to enter your name and mobile number.
- The given mobile number will be recorded along with the PF Account Number.
- On successful submission of above information, the details will be sent through SMS to the given mobile number.
If you get confused while entering your information, this pic should help you out!
I tried these steps to get my balance yesterday. First couple of successful submissions went nowhere! I didn’t get any response. Today I was lucky upon trying for the third time! I got the SMS in about 1 hour after filling the details online. Sadly, as on today the account balance reflects the data only till 31st March 2008. We may have to wait for some more time (few more years?) to know the latest balance.
Oh yeah, one more thing. Don’t spam the comment stream below with your PF account details. I will not be able to get your details. Your comment will just be deleted if it has only such request. This is just for your information and feel free to use the appropriate links provided to know your account data. There are many finance related articles on this site, feel free to read through to understand about investment, insurance and tax savings.