I bought a Maxtor One Touch III Mini external drive [120GB] couple of months back. This has been working good on my Windows XP operating system until last week and all of a sudden started throwing the following error “Maxtor EasyManage has encountered a problem and needs to close. Please inform Microsoft about this.” This error came up every time I accessed the drive by connecting through USB and also when tried to open the EasyManage software installed on the computer [even when the drive was not attached]. Tried to solve this problem by searching on net as well as by going to the user forums on seagate.com. None of those helped me and at that point a seagate technician by name Richard came to my rescue. Mentioned below is the step by step process on how i was able to get over the problem I had. Start all these steps by disconnecting the drive from your computer.
1. Click on start, select programs.
2. Go to Maxtor folder, then right click the EasyManage shortcut and hit properties.
3. In the properties pop up window of that shortcut click Compatibility tab.
4. Under ‘Compatibility Mode’ section, check the option that says ‘Run this program in compatibility Mode for’.
5. Select ‘Windows 2000′ from the drop down menu next to it.
6. Click on ‘Apply’ and then on ‘OK’
7. Open the EasyManage link that we just made changes to from start -> Programs -> Maxtor -> EasyManage
Now the issue is solved, drive gets detected by the computer soon after connecting. You will get to see something other than the error message that was bothering you all this while. It may prompt you to
1. Format the drive and
2. Restart the windows
Don’t select the option to format, you might lose the data on your drive just close that window and restart your computer. Upon restarting, your drive will be detected normally and will prompt you for the security password if you have set one. After this validation, all your data is accessible on the drive.
I am greatly thankful to Richard Tuttle, who works at Seagate for his patience and support in resolving this problem.