WordPress 2.5.1 has been released today and I have upgraded to the latest version. This upgradation was a cake walk, I was able to complete this upgrade in less than 10 minutes 🙂
Steps to upgrade :
- Get the latest WordPress. Either download and extract it to your computer or download it directly to the server. De-activate all the plugins from you current wordpress page.
- Delete your old wp-includes and wp-admin directories. But do not delete wp-content folder as this contains your theme and plugin files.
- Copy the new files to your server, overwriting old files in the root. You may use FTP or shell commands to do so.
- Preserve the wp-config.php file in the root directory, as it contains your database sign-in information
- Visit the upgrade page on your site. It will be at a URL like http://example.com/blog/wp-admin/upgrade.php. This updates your database to be compatible with the latest code.
- Go ahead and enable the plugins that you want to use from admin page. You are done!
More detailed info available on http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress
With this release you will be getting over 70+ fixes. 2.5.1, focuses on fixing the most annoying bugs and improving performance. Here are some highlights:
* Performance improvements for the Dashboard, Write Post, and Edit Comments pages.
* Better performance for those who have many categories
* Media Uploader fixes
* An upgrade to TinyMCE 3.0.7
* Widget Administration fixes
* Various usability improvements
* Layout fixes for IE
Enjoy the new release with all these bug fixes 🙂