It is time to announce the winners of the ‘Go Green’ contest! This was announced a while back asking my readers to come up with innovative ways under the caption ‘Water Conservation and Efficient Usage‘. Though the response wasn’t great, I am happy to announce that there were 2 entries and declaring both of them to be winners!
Here is the link for both the entries along with few innovative thoughts on the subject:
Manna Sharma – http://sunin-virgo.blogspot.com/2010/05/go-green.html
- Don’t over water your lawn. As a general rule, lawns only need watering every 5 to 7 days in the summer and every 10 to 14 days in the winter. A hearty rain eliminates the need for watering for as long as two weeks.
- Never put water down the drain when there may be another use for it such as watering a plant or garden, or cleaning.
Aathira – http://vectorgaming.blogspot.com/2010/05/conserving-water-and-efficient-usage.html
- How many of us think of water saving when you are out looking to buy a washing machine?
– If you are out, I would suggest that a front loading one would be any day lighter on the water usage as compared to the top loading kind. They might seem more expensive at first, but using less water also means using less electricity to heat the water etc.
- A friend of mine had an aquarium, and what he used to do was whenever he cleaned his aquarium, he emptied the water into a bucket and he would proceed to water the plants with it. The water in the aquarium is nutrient rich, and this being used to water plants, I thought, was a great idea!
Congratulations to both of you, let me know how you want to collect the AloeVera saplings 🙂
Also, today I received a 2010 calendar made with art work by Deepa Gopal from Deepaz World of Artz. Thank you so much Deepa. It is lovely and I feel privileged to have won that! What more can I receive on my birthday? that too from a friend known through my blog!
Since I still have 4 more saplings available, I will randomly choose the commentators on this article as lucky winners! this must be very easy…
I am all smiles!!! Coz I commented without looking into your mail. Then I went back and read it and I saw what I wanted to know. I am happy that you received it on a perfect day!
Wishing you a belated birthday!
hehee 🙂 🙂 🙂
Thank you so much Deepa… you certainly made my day!
I sent the pack (calendar) around two weeks back. Pls let me know when you receive it. Extremely sorry for the delay. Since I started job its been too hectic. Its not only teaching ,lot of admin work too. Really sorry. I really hope you like it…
Ah.. 🙂 I will let the next comment of you answer for it 🙂
Ah am I late???
> well this might sound li’ll silly, but my servant maid used to do this…
She used to wash a bucket of clothes daily, and later to rinse it used 3 more buckets to drain the soap water. Now the last 2 buckets used for rinsing is almost a clean water, which she use to go out and 1) use for watering plants and 2) Clean the Bathroom 3) washing my two wheeler 4) washing my footwear. I liked the idea:)
> I have made a sincere effort at home, to keep repeating to my sister and now my hubby to close the TAP while brushing teeth..Am sure a great deal of clean water flows, during this activity….I still repeat, to ensure it just doesnt go wate. So turn off the TAP……
> We recently had RAIN WATER harvesting system in our APT. Now, the initial idea was to store the water for undergroung cooling and not for any usage. While digging the ground to make space for water storage, there was water popping up from groud, which means we had some underground water naturally in this area. Now, we have planned to store the excess water in the sump and use a filter and this will soon be used for drinking purpose….
Congrats to the winners and am so sad, am so late for this….
Hey Shruti, thats awesome! Thanks for sharing those tips 🙂
Well, you are still eligible to win the saplings for writing a comment here!
Oh, how did I miss this one 🙁
You can still make it!!! take a chance, go ahead and post an article 🙂
I missed it …:(
Never late… you can still take part 🙂
Congratulations to both the winners 🙂 I did read Aathira’s entry. Well written 🙂
Yes, it is very well written! some great tips there!
Roshmi (Musings of an Unknown Indian) says
Congratulations to both!!! Well deserved!
P.S. Thanks for the useful tips too!
yes! i second that 🙂
many many happy returns of the day mohan garu.
happy birthday Mohan 🙂
Congratulations to both the winners. I would love to get the aloe vera but really tough to pick it up 🙁 maybe we can work something out eh?
Thanks Shruti Sure, why not?
Wowww.. This is a news.. Thank you so much Mohan.. 🙂
Congrats once again!
Congratulations to both the winners 🙂